In celebration of Glue magazine’s 10th anniversary, we have decided to take a look back over a decade of gaming. Here we show the top 10 series that have impacted the gaming world in the last 10 years.
1. Grand Theft Auto V cost over $300, 000 and is the most expensive game ever produced. Despite its production costs, profits out-weighed expenses in pre-orders alone. Part of what makes the game so successful is they have convicted criminals give their voice to characters.
“A vast majority of the characters in were criminals, though it’s an interesting concept, I don’t see why a talented voice actor couldn’t have done just as well,” said Liam MacDonald, connoisseur of fine games and mechanical engineering student at Carleton University.
2. Battlefield 4 is revolutionizing modern warfare with the inclusion of fully destructible environments, causing a player’s actions to permanently change the face of the battlefield in more realistic ways. From toppling skyscrapers full of enemies, to demolishing bridges beneath an oncoming player’s tank, the limits gamers used to face in videogame warfare are all but disappearing. It is available for Xbox 360, PS3, & PC, Xbox One and Playstation 4.
“Battlefield is a game changer this year with the pinnacle of gaming graphics pared with great team play game environment. This is an overall spectacular game you will be sure to enjoy,” said Dave Wilson, student of business management at Algonquin College.
3. Black Flag, the latest installment in the Assassin’s Creed series, has brought the immersive experience of gentlemen of fortune, ladies of leisure, and life on the high seas of the Caribbean to consoles through protagonist Edward Kenway, Welsh privateer. It revisits historical events that characterized the lives of Bartholomew Roberts, and Edward Thatch (Blackbeard). It is available on all console systems.
“It’s good in my opinion, because of the fluid gameplay, ability to play many different ways all coupled with a compelling story,” Zakk Sutton, student of culinary arts, at Algonquin College.
4. Call of Duty has come back again this year with its new release Ghosts. Players are a protagonist fighting for the survival of the United States against a threat of total destruction from a ruthless federation reaching as far as space in its quest for global domination.
Call of Duty’s one day sales streak came to an end with the release of Ghosts, perhaps because they premiered the game across six different platforms that were not all available at the same time.
5. The Witcher is based off the writings of Andrzej Sapkowski. His seven book series, literally translated as “The Hexer” inspired an early film and television series in Poland and eventually portrayed in its finest in game form.
6. World of Warcraft was launched in 2004 and set a new standard for massively multiplayer online role-playing games requiring a monthly subscription. Raids and unending questing possibilities make it a game that for all intents and purposes has no end. They reached their peak since at 12 million subscribers worldwide. In 2007 they released burning Crusade, and have since another three expansions, Wrath of the Lich King, Cataclysm, and this year Mists of Pandaria. It is created by Blizzard, who also created Warcraft I, II and III. A mode of The Frozen Throne became the renowned competitive League of Legends franchise released in 2009.
7. Fable is a series that was first released for the Xbox in 2004, with great success. It was one of the first games to incorporate childhood experiences with the development of the main character as well as alignment towards good or evil depending on choices made. Its sequels Fable 2 released in 2008 and Fable III released in 2012 continued to the tale with characteristic locations and references to actions from previous games.
8. Skyrim was released on Nov. 11, 2011 and has the fifth in the Elder Scrolls series which has been a unique and diversely successful solo adventure series of games beginning more than two decades ago. For our purposes we will note that its predecessor Oblivion was released in 2006 and was the beginning of the refinement on graphics and gameplay for which Skyrim finally perfected.
9. The Last of Us is a game by Naughty Dog, where players experience a post-apocalyptic world through the eyes of Joel, a smuggler holding his own in a world ruled by abusive military powers, with deadly rebel forces and denizens of infected humans and animals, with a twist on the usual concept of zombies.
10. Halo has been praised one of the best first-person shooters available on a console, and has evolved within the past decade. Halo 2 was released in 2004, and had sold more than 500 million copies by 2006. The most recent game in the franchise, Halo 4 was released on Nov. 6, 2012.
“Halo is a popular first person shooter with an imaginative storyline and a continually upgraded graphics scheme. It’s great fun for a competitive audience,” said Jesse Deason, gamer from California.